Monday, April 20, 2015

Adult Outpatient Orthopedics and SAD



So, YAY!  I was recently notified that my efforts paid off and the American Board of Physical Therapist Specialties has awarded me my recertification for Pediatric board specialty certification!!

So excited!!!






Sooooooo... what the HECK am I doing seeing ADULTS???






Well, when you live on a relatively small, yet OVERpopulated island... one works in relatively close proximity to where one lives.  The closest Children's hospital is in Honolulu.  If you look, it's "not that far away".  Meaning, only 20.9 miles away.  Mostly highway driving.

However... have you EVER driven in Hawaii?  During rush hour???

It REALLY is this bad!!
Yeah... that's what I'm saying.  21 miles can equal 1 1/2 hours to get to work.  Even though the drivers tend to be nicer and less stressed here than elsewhere (I'm thinking the DC traffic I put up with a few years ago), it's still no fun!

So, I got a job that's 10 minutes away from my house and the only traffic I have to put up with is a few cars heading to drop kids off at school first thing in the morning.

Anyhow.  The clinic is an Adult Outpatient Orthopedic clinic.  They snagged me by putting that they see "all ages" and in the interview pointed out they see "many adolescent athletes".  Yeah... I'm still waiting on that one ;)  But, the point is, I've NEVER worked in an outpt adult clinic EXCEPT my time in the military/reserves.  WHAT a learning process this is.  Not where the patient care is, but in billing and all the various insurance issues that accompanies getting payment for services rendered.  Ugh.  Yes, our system is broke.  I do, however, really enjoy it (just wish there were some kiddos to see!!)

How this equates to my blog, though, is that I am meeting SO many people who, remind me of myself before losing my weight and getting healthy, are sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Oh, and in pain.

Credit: www.changeyourmindbodyhealth.com






I find myself giving information on how to eat an anti-inflammatory diet and giving out information on that and the autoimmune protocol all the time!  Why?  Well, it's that pesky Standard American Diet (SAD)!!  Those who are "trying to lose weight" eat low fat and "healthy whole grains" in their efforts, but are quite obese.









I even had a beautiful, fit lady come in the other day for a consult due to intense pain.  Talking to her, she seemed to be in full-blown inflammatory and autoimmune disease processes!  She'd taken "every test out there" to determine if she had rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc, etc.  All come back negative, or "inconclusive".  When asked what foods she eats, it's the SAD brands.  She DOES eat organic foods and keeps crap out of her diet.  But, beans/legumes and grains all over the place... only those "whole grains", too.  Golly, even her gallbladder is at risk for being taken out.  If they found stones, it'd be gone already.  Sound familiar?










So, after giving this lady and multiple other patients my blog address and information on AIP and Paleo (see photos I use as handouts... they refer the patient to these fantastic websites, too!), I figured it's time to update my blog on what new sites and books are out there to help.  So that not everyone has to listen/read this little run-on-blog about my thought processes for where I work and why I can to the realization that I needed that new information page, I'll put together that page and post separately.





Thanks for reading!!  Next blog will have the information!!

No comments:

Post a Comment