Sunday, August 25, 2013

Eating in a hotel suite

So, I'm still in a hotel... however, this one is smaller than the one in Hawaii.  I'm in Florida for my reserve weeks and in a larger suite (2 bedrooms), but smaller kitchenette (no range, just a small fridge and microwave).  So... how does one eat with limited resources??

Well, besides the obvious of buying dinner and cutting that in 1/2 for the next day, I do buy stuff to fill the fridge.

Breakfast ideas:
Fage - whole fat, with blueberries and other berries, sliced almonds, pecan pieces
boiled eggs (yes, you can find them in grocery stores!!) and bacon
Intermittent fasting... (yeah, some mornings it's just coffee and cream)

Lunch:
salad with left overs from the day prior
cafeteria at work...
roll ups:  lunch meat and cheese roll ups with lettuce and veggies on the side

Dinner:
Roll ups
take out:  my favorite place here is Moe's!!  They have organic produce and grass-fed animal meat!!
Left overs brought from in-laws
bacon, bacon and more bacon
salad with bacon, left over boiled eggs, etc.

Needless to say, I could use some ideas as only one week of this is already OLD!!  However, I know that it's for a short time, so I also practice some intermittent fasting.  I ONLY fast when I'm just not hungry... I do NOT fast when I am hungry as that's just not healthy.  It's not listening to my body.  I noticed that sometimes I'm not hungry in the morning after a large dinner the night before.  Conversely, I'm not hungry for dinner if I've had a larger lunch.

I have had some excellent conversations this week dealing with... da da da dum.... Saturated Fat.

My favorite book right now is The Great Cholesterol Myth:  Why Lowering Your Cholesterol Won't Prevent Heart Disease - and the Statin-free plan that will,  by Jonny Bowden and Stephen Sinatra.  Dr Bowden is a Nutritionist and Dr Sinatra is a cardiologist.  

Now, I'm nowhere near done reading this book, nor even a 1/2 way through.  However, there's so much amazing information and research presented within the first few chapters that I feel I'm learning so much I just have to share!!  What convinces a geek like me that saturated fat is NOT the devil as I'd been told all my life and taught in PT school and beyond, is the amazing amount of research.  Not just RCTs (randomized control trials), but meta-analysis of research!  There's this one recent meta analysis that show NO correlation between saturated fat in the diet and CHD (coronary heart disease) or CVD (cardiovascular disease).

I do not feel I've read enough of the book to do it justice in a review, and have ALREADY loaned it out (to my MIL and I'll get it back this next weekend), but I promise to write more about it and try to teach you the 'finer' points as I learn them. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment