Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spring in Japan!

Tis the season of the Cherry Blossoms (and allergies) in Japan!!

Yeah, that's my red face after running intervals :) No, it's not a stroke!!

 


Debi as Alice in Wonderland
Along with the blossoms come music, and the singing group I'm in is doing a Disney-themed 20 minute show weekly at the schools in the area.  Our first show was last Monday and here's me ready to perform!  I surprised my neighbor and she took this lovely photo of me in her garden.  


Cool thing was... last time I wore this Alice costume was in 2008... over 42 lbs ago!!  I was trying to find the 'old' photo of me in the costume from then, but haven't quite been successful yet.  I'll post it if I can find it!


So, it's been quite a while since my last blog, so I've a LOT to share!!  


Since my last post I hit two of my goals that I set about 2 years ago.  Since they were good goals for Paleo, I saw no reason to change them once I adapted the Paleo/Primal lifestyle.  
1.  Get under 140 lbs
2.  Get under a BMI of 25 (since that's when the charts all say we're "overweight")



small portion of the bazaar
I also had the privilege of being the Asian Bazaar Chair for the third time earlier this Spring and THAT took up a LOT of my time.  Cool thing was, for that weekend, the gals who did the food were extremely thoughtful of my 'dietary needs' and kept boiled eggs, veggies and water on hand for me.  (thanks!!)  Since one of my other committee members is also following Paleo/Primal lifestyle, he made out like a bandit, too!  We both can say that even though there was no formal exercise going on that weekend, we didn't gain any weight thanks to the hard efforts (and amazing friendship) of our Vendor Lounge gals!    Besides the food issue, it was a great bazaar with enough profit to fund our scholarship and community giving programs for another year!  YAY, team!!  

Culture Groups:
 I'm in three culture groups, two of which are very active and meet almost weekly!  In one, I had the opportunity to listen to some wonderful, traditional Japanese music and then got to try the little Koto myself.  




Before and right after the bazaar, I had TWO opportunities to get dressed by Japanese ladies in my culture groups in their personal Kimono.  What a process!  However, I think they're very smart in that the Obi, or thick looking belt, sits up on the ribcage instead of the abdomen.  Therefore, it's actually quite comfortable!  

The first group, Tokyo Culture Group, was done at a member's house in Tokyo.  Here's some pictures:


The under garment...

Bunching up the waist to make it just the right length.


Tying the Obi...

Finishing touches

Me in my first Kimono!
This is Setsuko, I'm wearing her Kimono!!
After trying on Kimono, it was lunch time!!  How Primal is this??  Sushi/Sushimi!!  Yummy!






Happy Birthday, son!!















The next BIG thing that happened was my baby boy turned 19.  Gah!  I feel so old!!  However, I can truly say I'm at the healthiest point and we can actually enjoy running around Japan now (especially since he got that GoPro2!!)

My second dressing in the Kimino happened at a wonderful cottage that my other culture group rented at Tama Hills Recreation Area.  The Sakura (cherry blossoms) were just starting to bloom and it was a beautiful weekend!

Midori helping me put on the Obi

Obi tying is quite a task!

Gotta show the sexy part of the neck!!

Me, in Junko's Kimono

Back of Kimono showing Obi tie

Debi and Tamsen with Junko and wearing her Kimonos!

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment