Thursday, October 13, 2011

What? Sweat??

Sweat:
We do a LOT of this as humans, don't we?  I found that while 30 pounds heavier, I sweat more... then I started exercising while at that weight and I sweat buckets.  I'd read that as your body becomes more efficient at exercise, I'd sweat MORE!  Really?  Yep... however, 30 pounds less, I look at it like it's a sign of my hard work at becoming healthy.  So, when the Couch to 5K Facebook page posted something from Active.com about how your sweat can taste different according to what you're eating... I clicked and read, and decided I'd share: 

What Does Your Sweat Taste Like?

By Anna Roberts McMurray
For Active.com Ever notice when you are working out, or especially when you are in the hot yoga room, your sweat smells, tastes or feels a certain way?
Sweating is a natural function of the human body, and is very important to the body health. The first function is to cool the body down when it is heating up. The second function is to provide a secondary system that removes toxins through the skin.
Ideally, you want your sweat to taste and smell neutral, which means your body is balanced and hydrated but for most of us, this may not be the case.
Use this sweat taste guide to determine what you're eating and make the appropriate adjustments to balance your body.
  • Salty: You have been eating a great deal of carbs: breads, pasta and fried foods.

  • Sweet: Lots of sugar in the body with can come from fruits, chocolate, candy, or alcohol.

  • Sour: You've had a bit too much dairy and soy products: milk, cheese, or tofu.

  • Vinegar: Too much protein and animal products, which gets turned into ammonia.

  • Thick: When your sweat is thick there is a lot of gluten in the body which comes from breads and pastas.

  • Margaritas: Margaritas...enough said. 
Next time you work out hard, take a moment to taste and smell your sweat. Take note of what it tastes like and make the adjustments in your diet. Then be sure to drink plenty of water to hydrate and flush out any toxins in your body.

Interesting, huh?  Nope, not gonna see me licking my arm while running... but, I DO sweat a lot on my upper lip and end up tasting that just licking my lips.  Though I've been off breads, pastas, and fried foods (except stuff I stir fry up in coconut oil or organic butter) for over 3 months now, I can honestly say I don't recall licking my lips lately and tasting too much salt, but more salty than not... definitely not sour, vinegary, sweet or thick... sheesh, I always thought sweat was sweat and basically salt water... I'll have to pay more attention in the future!!  ;)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment